By William Johnstone
Read Online or Download 1 and 2 Chronicles: Volume 2: 2 Chronicles 10-36: Guilt and Atonement PDF
Best old testament books
The monograph considers the relationships of moral platforms within the historical close to East via a learn of struggle in Judah, Israel and Assyria within the 8th and 7th centuries BCE. It argues universal cosmological and ideological outlook generated similarities in moral pondering. In all 3 societies, the mythological traditions surrounding production mirror a robust connection among struggle, kingship and the institution of order.
Harmony is a grammatical time period in linguistics touching on the connection among phrases wherein a kind of 1 note calls for a corresponding type of one other eg the foundations governing the singular and plural of 'he walks' in place of 'they walk'. This e-book describes the procedures concerned after we learn concordances, utilizing genuine lifestyles examples taken from spoken English corpuses (The financial institution of English and Cobuild Corpuses).
The writer analyzes the several principles of the political constitution of the province of Juda that is presupposed by means of the e-book Esra-Nehemia. 3 constitutional strategies and their theological define are labored out to provide perception into the advance of the theological-political recommendations of post-exilic instances.
6 Ezra is a brief oracular writing that's incorporated within the biblical Apocrypha because the ultimate chapters (15-16) of Ezra, or 2 Esdras. forged because the phrases of God mediated via an unnamed prophet, the most a part of the paintings units forth predictions of coming near near doom for the area. _ There hasn't ever been a big learn of 6 Ezra or perhaps a entire severe version of the booklet, and certainly little has been written approximately it because the 19th century.
- Redactional Processes in the Book of the Twelve
- Die Konfessionen Jeremias: Eine redaktionsgeschichtliche Studie
- Disability Studies and the Hebrew Bible: Figuring Mephibosheth in the David Story
- The Targumic Toseftot to Ezekiel
- The Theology of the Book of Jeremiah (Old Testament Theology)
- Opening the Old Testament
Additional resources for 1 and 2 Chronicles: Volume 2: 2 Chronicles 10-36: Guilt and Atonement
1. 2-4) The consequences of the denial of God of his rights do not take long to appear. It is in Rehoboam's fifth year that the blow falls. Judah is invaded by the Egyptian Pharaoh, Shishak. 1 The precise reason for his invasion of Palestine is a matter for conjecture: was Shoshenq coming to support Jeroboam, who had been a refugee from Solomon at his court, against Rehoboam? Or, since the list of Sheshonq's conquests in his triumphal inscription in the temple of Amun at Karnak includes the names of cities in Jeroboam's kingdom, had Jeroboam in some way provoked his former protector?
The section ends with an ironical contrast: whereas in 2 Chron. 1 Rehoboam 'came to Jerusalem' to consolidate his position, it is now Shishak who 'came to Jerusalem' to threaten the very existence of Rehoboam's rule. 2. 5-8) Shemaiah the prophet, who has already intervened to prevent Rehoboam from launching hostilities against the north (2 Chron. 24), again makes explicit the theological factor in events. In the midst of all this 'coming', he too 'comes' (v. 5), as the effective agent and 42 2 Chronicles 10-36 spokesman for God.
18). As the sequel is about to make clear, however, all these measures can avail nothing if there is theological corruption at the heart of the regime. 2. Religious measures follow (vv. 13-17). At first, it seems that Rehoboam is aware of the need to maintain the religious core of his rule: the priests, and the Levites from all over the country, present themselves to him in Jerusalem. The initiative, however, hardly comes from Rehoboam: the presence of the Levites is the inevitable consequence of the secession of the north; they come as the dispossessed.